Saturday, July 4, 2009

First Day - July 4th

Well I'm here now! I had a long flight from Atlanta to Stockholm (it was only 9.5 hours, but I wasn't comfortable and didn't sleep much, so it felt longer). I hadn't thought about the route we would take though - we went up north over DC, New York, Halifax, Greenland, and then over Norway. I got to see fireworks in DC from the plane window, that was neato. But yeah, I made it.
Meltem, my mentor, picked me up from the airport and we took a cab downtown. I got into my apartment and found out that I have internet - which is such a relief. I got Skype ready so that I could call Chelsey. And after talking to her I went out!
I walked from my apartment to where the church is, just to make sure I knew how to get there for tomorrow. Then I wanted to explore a little bit and looked for a place to get dinner. I checked out where the office is and then walked around town more before going to the grocery store. That was a different experience - I was really suprised at how little English was in the market (not like Singapore and Malaysia that had a lot of products labeled in English). So I ended up getting cereal, what I think is milk, eggs, bread, and pasta supplies. Maybe I can get some pointers from the missionaries about where to shop and what to eat.
Anyway, it was a good first day. I am excited to get to know the city more. So that's it for today! I'm going to post some videos that show my apartment and tomorrow I'll talk about church in Sweden.

2 comments:

  1. I am the master! I can't believe how light it is outside so late!

    ReplyDelete
  2. B.J. - good night timmy kitty.

    ReplyDelete