Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Back at the Client

I sure do love my Chelsey and Hunter! I am so glad that the apartment I'm in has internet and I am so glad that Skype exists! So far, I've spent less than $15 talking to Chelsey and we talk for more than an hour on most days. And she just got Skype herself, so we have free video chats (we were already doing it with Gchat, but Skype has better quality). So that has been a lifesaver! I miss them a lot and it gets lonely living all by myself in a foreign city and a lot of the people I have met are away for vacation. I wish Chel and Hunter could be here with me, but we'll just have to wait until later in our lives to make the trip.

Monday I spent working on another spreadsheet for Nordea and then I had a conference call for the GIP program. I tried going to a statue museum that is near the office, but it was closed, so maybe I'll go on Wednesday. I ate a pizza - they are small and thin, perfect for one person - and then I got some groceries.

On Tuesday, Malin came by my desk in the morning and we walked to Skandia. Skandia is a big insurance company that was born here in Sweden. It was recently bought by Old Mutual. We are doing a Q2 review and I had the job of making sure that the numbers in their accounting system matched up with the numbers in the system used to report their information to Old Mutual. The senior on the job is Tim Yuan. He is from China (came here when he was 6) and he was suprised that I knew where TianJing is. He's a nice guy and I'll be meeting up with him tomorrow morning at Skandia. I also met Heinrich Peterson who is from Ostergotland (which is where I think my ancestors were from). We joked about how we might be relatives, but honestly he does look a little like he belongs to my family. Maybe I can snab a picture to see if anyone agrees... we'll see. So yeah, I'm excited to be working on Skandia and I'll be there until next Thursday.
Today was also the day that I met up with Meltem and Madeline after work to go on a tour bus. There was some interesting stuff, but it felt like it was too long (45 minutes should have been fine, but it was 1.5 hours). But still.... it was good to get some background on the buildings that I see all the time.

1 comment: